Mercury is a growing problem

mercury toxinsMercury is the part of a  fluorescent light that makes it work, including compact fluorescents (CFLs) and it is also a health hazard.

Almost 98 per cent of all fluorescent lights are crushed into landfill. When you consider that in the UK we dump over 100 million lights a year, that’s a lot of mercury. In fact, that’s over 1,100 kg of mercury. It’s safe to say that fluorescent lights are the most significant source of mercury contamination of all the waste we produce.

When fluorescent lights are broken, the mercury they contain can vapourise. Inhaling even a small amount of this vapour can impact us in many ways – from harming our kidneys, to causing respiratory failure or even death (at high doses).

Contact us at www.sitr.com to arrange for storage and collection of unwanted florecent lights..don’t just dump them!

This entry was posted in News & Views. Bookmark the permalink.