THE ENVIRONMENT AGENCY – Disposing of redundant computer equipment is a serious business and to legally transport and recycle this WEEE waste you must be licensed by the Environment Agency. Any IT recycling company that offers this service must hold a Waste Carriers Licence and a Waste Management Licence. Once registered with the E.A. holders are audited on a regular basis to ensure they conform to the strict guidelines of their permit.
WEEE & BARRT – All WEEE waste should be recycled in accordance with Guidance on Best Available Treatment, Recovery and Recycling Techniques (BATRRT) and treatment of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE).WEEE BATRRT Guidance
WASTE TRANSFER & HAZARDOUS WASTE TRANSFER – Movement of WEEE waste must be accompanied by a Waste Transfer Note and if in the case of Lead Acid Batteries and Cathode Ray Monitor a Hazardous Waste Transfer Note*. In association with the HWTN the producer must register with the E.A.** These documents must detail all the information shown in these examples.
*this is only required if you produce over 500kg per annum – equivalent to approx 30 CRT monitors.*
**If you require registration SITR can offer this as part of our collection service.**
DATA PROTECTION & REMOVAL – Under the Data Protection Act 1998 any business processing personal data must comply with the Eight enforceable principles of good practice. When Disposing of redundant IT equipment it is important to ensure all personal records will be deleted. In addition there may be other sensitive information stored such as access codes, financial details and photographs.
It is our responsibility to ensure the removal of all Data, Software and configuration info from your system and we guarantee this will be completed in every case. If required we can supply a full audit trail of the process.
CERTIFICATE OF DISPOSAL – You are strongly recommended to only dispose of IT and communications equipment via an external agency specifically authorised and registered to dispose of such waste.
You must be satisfied that the agency has fulfilled its obligations on occasions when waste IT and communications equipment is disposed of.
Ensuring that the agency is fulfilling legal and other obligations in respect of the law may be achieved via the disposal contract agreed by you and the agency. It may also be achieved by the agency sending your company an ‘End of Life’ certificate for each item disposed of.Certificate of Destruction and Waste Transfer Note
This would detail how an item has been processed during disposal. Such items could be referenced within the audit trail for disposal. Energy, The Environment and SITR
SITR is committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of its activities on the Environment.
As a licensed WEEE Treatment Facility we work closely with the Environment Agency in minimising the impact that collected waste has on the Environment. We follow closely (BATRRT) Best Available Treatment Recovery and Recycling Techniques and treatment of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE).
The key points of our strategy are:
• Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
• Minimise toxic emissions through the selection and use of its fleet and the source of its power requirement.
• Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst its customers and suppliers.
• Source and promote a product range to minimise the environmental impact of both production and distribution.
• Meet or exceed all the environmental legislation that relates to the Company.
• Use an accredited program to offset the greenhouse gas emissions generated by our activities.
As a company we are committed to constantly review and implement working procedures to:
• Conserve raw materials.
• Reduce pollution.
• Save energy.
As a company we ensure where possible:
• Bought-in paper is of a recycled content.
• We operate recycling of all paper waste.
• We operate recycling of all card, cans and plastic waste.
• Our office cleaners use green cleaning products.
• All printers and computer settings are pre-set to black print as default.
• All screens are switched off at night.
• All lights are switched off at night.
• All ink cartridges are recycled.
SITR is committed to leading the industry in minimising the impact of its activities on the Environment and has achieved the ISO 14001 Environmental accreditation.